Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm finishing my undergraduate studies in mathematics and I'd like doing research in a future, probably on Number Theory. That's why I'm interested in graduate program where I could focus on NT. It could be either an only-NT program or one where I could also learn some other topics and at the same time I had the option to choose most of my subjects related to NT.

What I've found so far, resembling what I want is:

Cambridge Part III

Barcelona's University Master. Where the subjects to choose from would be Local Algebra, Complex Analysis, Functional Analysis, Algebraic Curves, Algebraic Geometry, Arithmetic Geometry, Geometry and Topology of Manifolds and Algebraic Number Theory.

Alagant's masters in Algebra, Geometry and Number Theory

I would be interested in other graduate programs with these characteristics, specially in Europe as it is easier for me to find financial aid.

share|cite|improve this question
If I may make a suggestion: it would be helpul to put the "especially in Europe" at the beginning rather than at the end. For this type of question, that's quite important: without getting into all the (not necessarily relevant) details, this question coming from a American student sounds kind of weird (for instance, we do not have standalone masters programs of high repute). – Pete L. Clark May 11 '11 at 20:18
When did Cambridge award a Master's degree for Part III? I know they started splitting Senior Optimes in 1985, another dangerous innovation. – Henry May 11 '11 at 20:50
What languages do you understand? – Phira May 11 '11 at 21:01
@user9325 English and Spanish. I could also do it in French as long as I don't need a language certificate, something really unlikely. – Gabriel Furstenheim May 11 '11 at 21:07
Note that if you are admitted to a US university Ph.D. program, you will typically receive all necessary financial aid (usually in return for having to do some teaching). I mention this just because of your remark about preferring Europe for financial reasons. Also, despite you European preference, let me mention that Boston College has just begun a Ph.D. program, which is strongly focussed on number theory. – Matt E May 12 '11 at 0:32

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.