Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Dear All, I'm computing multidimensional Fourier series of a function $f$ defined on $(0, L_1)\times(0, L_2)\times\cdots\times(0,L_d)$. The series reads

$f(\vec x)=\sum_{\vec k}\hat f(\vec k)\exp(\imath\vec k\cdot\vec x)$

where the sum is extended to all

$\vec k = \dfrac{2\pi a_1}{L_1}\vec e_1+\cdots+\dfrac{2\pi a_d}{L_d}\vec e_d\qquad(a_1, \ldots, a_d\in\mathbb Z).$

My question is: how do you call the set of the vectors $\vec k$. I think specialists in diffraction would call this set "reciprocal lattice"; how about mathematicians?

Thanks a lot in advance, Sebastien

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

It's usually called the dual lattice $\hat{\Lambda}$ of the lattice $\Lambda = L_1 \mathbb{Z} \oplus L_2 \mathbb{Z} \oplus \cdots \oplus L_{d} \mathbb{Z}$ in $\mathbb{R}^d$. See this Wikipedia page on the reciprocal lattice for further explanation and have also a look at the one on Pontryagin duality.

share|cite|improve this answer
Thanks! Sorry I'm not allowed to vote you up... – Sebastien May 11 '11 at 1:26

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.