Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If $G$ is a group and $a,x\in G$, then would we call $x^{-1}ax$ a conjugate of $x$ or a conjugate of $a$?

Sorry for such a short question, was just doing a problem and want to call this something so it is easier for me to refer to and I want to call it what seems to be the normal way to say it.

share|cite|improve this question
Thank you guys so much for your answers! – Frudrururu Apr 30 '13 at 0:51
I'd call it the conjugate of $a$ by $x^{-1}$. I'd reserve the term conjugate of $a$ by $x$ for $x a x^{-1}$. – Michael Joyce Apr 30 '13 at 2:52
up vote 4 down vote accepted

We call $x^{-1}ax$ a conjugate of $a$.

You can say that you conjugated $a$ by $x$.

You should note, in general, $a$ is NOT conjugate to $x$, for arbitrary elements of $G$.

share|cite|improve this answer

$x^{-1}ax$ is the conjugate of $a$ by $x$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.