Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If there is X, can it be reversed (made palindromic) by simply adding a character, a mathematical symbol?

share|cite|improve this question

No, not a standard one. And I doubt there is even a non-standard one. It's not a common or important operation at all.

share|cite|improve this answer

The closest concept that is commonplace is bit-reversal, an effect which actually occurs in in-place FFT algorithms. The Wikipedia page lists no standard notation for it.

The reason this operation is not so interesting is that it depends on the base in which the number is represented.

share|cite|improve this answer

You can 'palindromize' any string of symbols, if you want--but it will take more than just one symbol addition or deletion in general.

Here is one way to palindromize a sequence. Simply take your sequence X, write it in reverse order, then concaconate X with the reversial. I.E

Your sequence: Math

Your sequence palindromized: MathhtaM. I don't know if this was what you were thinking of.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.