Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I was wondering if there is a name for this quantity $ \overline{<f,g>} := \int_0^1 fg dt- \int_0^1 f dt \int_0^1 g dt$.

Thanks and regards!

share|cite|improve this question
Never seen this. Should these be three $1$, really? What is the domain of integration? – 1015 Apr 17 '13 at 3:25
$[0,1]$. This quantity is used in covariance of two linear rank statistics. – Tim Apr 17 '13 at 3:51
Ok. I notice that $f,g$ $L^1$ does not suffice for $fg$ to be $L^1$ as $f=g=1/\sqrt{x}$ shows. And $fg$ is the pointwise product, right? Did you mean: it is "somehow" measuring... In this case, there is no Holder here, as we would $1/p+1/q=1$. – 1015 Apr 17 '13 at 3:56
@julien: you are right. it seems have little to do with Holder's inquality. I updated my post. Yes $fg$ is the pointwise product – Tim Apr 17 '13 at 4:09
up vote 2 down vote accepted

I finally found what this is: that's the covariance (and now I realize you even used the word in your comment above). Indeed: $$ \int\left(\left(f-\int f\right)\left(g-\int g\right)\right)=\int\left(fg-\left(\int f\right)g-\left(\int g\right)f+\left(\int f\right)\left(\int g\right)\right) $$ $$ \int fg-2\int f\int g+\int f\int g=\int fg-\int f\int g. $$

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.