Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm just a beginner of differential geometry, so please forgive me if this is nothing but a silly question or I'm making a critical conceptual mistake.

Let $\mathrm{I\!I}(X, Y)$ be the second fundamental form on an embedded $n$-manifold in the $(n+1)$-dimensional Euclidean space. Then the mean curvature $H$ is defined as the trace of $\mathrm{I\!I}( \cdot, \cdot)$ divided by $n$. But my question arises here. What does the trace of a bilinear form means, especially in the sense of a tensor field on a coordinate chart? Of course, considering $\mathrm{I\!I}(\xi^i g_i, \eta^j g_j) = \mathrm{I\!I}(g_i, g_j) \xi^i \eta_j$ gives us a matrix representation $h_{ij} = \mathrm{I\!I}(g_i, g_j)$ with respect to the contravariant basis. But if we take $H$ as a mere trace of this matrix $(h_{ij})$, we only have a quantity that is not invariant under the change of coordinate, which seems obviously undesirable. I know that I have trouble understanding the nature of $\mathrm{I\!I}( \cdot, \cdot)$, since the correct answer would be $(1/n)h_{i}^{i}$, where $h_{i}^{j} = h_{il}g^{lj}$. Is there any generous soul who can help me out from this conceptual messup?

share|cite|improve this question
You are aware that you can simply compute the mean curvature locally as $H = g^{ij}h_{ij}$, and this is of course invariant? – Glen Wheeler Apr 30 '11 at 20:03
up vote 10 down vote accepted

This is a purely local issue. Let $V$ be a finite-dimensional real inner product space with inner product $\langle -, - \rangle$. Then endomorphisms $T : V \to V$ can be naturally identified with bilinear forms on $V$ via the identification $T \mapsto \langle -, T(-) \rangle$. The inverse identification exists thanks to the "Riesz representation theorem" (trivial in this setting). In particular, the trace of a bilinear form can be identified with the trace of the corresponding endomorphism, and so is well-defined up to orthogonal change of coordinates.

Another way of saying this is as follows. You are correct that bilinear forms $V \times V \to \mathbb{R}$ don't have a well-defined notion of trace for $V$ only a real vector space; what has a well-defined notion of trace is an endomorphism $V \to V$, and this is because we can identify endomorphisms with elements of $V \otimes V^{\ast}$, and the dual pairing gives a distinguished map $V \otimes V^{\ast} \to \mathbb{R}$. Because one does not need to make any choices to define this map, it is automatically invariant under change of coordinates.

Bilinear forms, on the other hand, are elements of $V^{\ast} \otimes V^{\ast}$, and no analogue of the dual pairing exists here in general. However, if $V$ is an inner product space, the inner product gives a distinguished isomorphism $V \simeq V^{\ast}$ sending $v \in V$ to $\langle -, v \rangle$ and then the identification above is possible.

share|cite|improve this answer
You gave the linear algebra reason. Geometrically, an orthogonal change of (local) coordinates is (by definition) a local isometry, hence it should not change geometric quantities such as curvature (indeed geometrically meaningful quantities should be invariant under local isometries). On the other hand, if you allow non-orthogonal changes you might end up scaling some directions, hence you should also expect change of curvature in general. – t.b. Apr 30 '11 at 17:07
Thanks! This identification clearly yields the 'correct' representation of $\mathrm{I\! I}$ for calculating the trace, namely $(h_{i}^{j})$. – Sangchul Lee Apr 30 '11 at 17:08
@sos440: yes, as long as you compute everything using an orthonormal basis. – Qiaochu Yuan Apr 30 '11 at 18:09

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.