Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

enter image description here

I am writing up some notes on equilateral triangles. I have reached the point where I want to show that a triangle is equilateral if and only if the three circles P, Q, and R, in the above diagram are congruent. I know the proof; my problem is I don't know how to refer to these circles. Is there a technical term I can use when referring to tangent circles such as these?

share|cite|improve this question
Apollonian circles when included in bigger circles. I don't know about triangles. Maybe just inscribed circles. – ja72 Apr 12 '13 at 19:42
I would draw the picture, and just the label the circles by the letters you've just used. As they say, a picture can be worth a thousand words. Probably less, actually, but still better than trying to use some obscure term. – Christopher A. Wong Apr 12 '13 at 19:43
Related question:…. They mention kissing circles :-) – ja72 Apr 12 '13 at 19:49
@ChristopherA.Wong. What you suggest is probably what I will do if no one comes up with a succinct term. I was hoping there was some common term that I was ignorant of, not being a professional mathematician. – m_goldberg Apr 12 '13 at 19:50
@ja72. Thanks for the reference -- "kissing circles" may do although it's just a general synonym of "tangent circles" -- if nothing more specific comes up. – m_goldberg Apr 12 '13 at 19:55

I might as well try to get the accepted answer with "Kissing Circles", and "Apollonian Circles" and an alternate.

See related question Inscribed kissing circles in an equilateral triangle.


share|cite|improve this answer
Sorry and thanks for your contribution, but I like "2nd-order incircles" better. – m_goldberg Apr 13 '13 at 6:51
Great. Now you or someone needs to put this as an answer to the question. – ja72 Apr 13 '13 at 20:40
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Because it doesn't look like LordSoth is going to post an answer, I'm recording the suggestion he made for the record.

Of all terms suggested, I find second order in-circle the most descriptive of the concept I wanted to capture. I am using this term in the notes I am writing. The term has the advantage of generalization to n-th order in-circle, which would be a tangent circle added at the n-th stage of an Apollonian packing of a triangle. Indeed, the proposition stated in my question holds at any stage of an Apollonian packing.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.