Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is name of the notion described below.

Let S be any body (set of points) in Euclidian n-dimensional space.

Let H(S,r) be set of all points x that distance between x and y is <= r for some $y \in S$.

In other words, it is union all of spheres of radius r and centered in S.

What is name of this H(S,r) set. Is it r-Neighborhood of S ?


share|cite|improve this question

$r$-neighborhood is fine. See

share|cite|improve this answer
Isn't that normally for the set of points strictly less than $r$? The OP is using $\leq r$. – Grumpy Parsnip Apr 28 '11 at 18:39
@Jim, ok, closed $r$-neighborhood then :-) Thanks for pointing that out anyway. – lhf Apr 28 '11 at 18:44

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.