Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am confused with the following -

Do unit vectors and normalized vectors indicate the same thing?

If I have a vector, and if I divide it by the length of the vector, then what will we get?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

You will get a unit vector in the direction of the original vector, meaning the vector has a magnitude of exactly one. That vector is said to have been normalized, and so sometimes it is referred to as a normalized vector.

So yes, unit vectors and normalized vectors are referring to the same concept.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.