Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the name of a fraction like this:


as opposed to one like this:


I've never actually had to describe this until today. Not only have I no idea how to describe the top-heavy fraction or the one with a whole number, I also don't even know what the process of changing from the former to the latter is called. Is it merely "simplifying"...? I have a feeling there must be a more technical name, because it's math and there always is.

Caveat: This is a very simple question, so much so that I feel sure it must be a duplicate. I did try to search but I was unable to come up with a succinct expression to describe what I am looking for (as evidenced by the fairly lame title of this question) and so the search came up empty.

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

The former is generally called an "improper fraction," the latter a "mixed number."

share|cite|improve this answer
Wow. That's nothing like what I was imagining. Google confirms you are correct, sir. Man, searching is so easy when you actually have the words to search for! – David John Welsh Apr 4 '13 at 17:04
Apparently I have to wait 11 minutes before I can accept. Eleven. Presumably Math.SE's time limits are all prime numbers or something.... – David John Welsh Apr 4 '13 at 17:07
Frankly, I think I prefer "top-heavy fraction" as a term! – Cameron Buie Apr 4 '13 at 17:33
@Cameron Me too, but even top-empty fractions prove handy at times. – Math Gems Apr 4 '13 at 20:23
So now we have busty fractions and topless fractions ... – Brian M. Scott Apr 4 '13 at 21:44

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.