Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Consider $L^2(\mathbb R^n, \mathbb R^m)$. There should be a Fourier transform for these functions, like in the case $L^2( \mathbb R^n, \mathbb R )$. I wonder how these can be defined.

The application I have in mind is defining a Fourier transform for differential forms on $\mathbb R^n$.

share|cite|improve this question
Have you tried the obvious? – Glen Wheeler Apr 22 '11 at 10:23
@Martin: What if you just do it componentwise? – Jonas Teuwen Apr 22 '11 at 11:53
A more interesting question is if we replace $\mathbb R^m$ by a separable Banach space! – Jonas Teuwen Apr 22 '11 at 13:36
It is not obvious that a component-wise approach is appropriate. Nice band-limited components can yield cusps, as in the deltoid. – yasmar Apr 22 '11 at 20:14
One proposal is to use Clifford Algebras link, also on Citeseer. – yasmar Apr 22 '11 at 20:15

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.