Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

For a group $G$, its subgroup $H$ and $x,y\in G,$ we call $xH$ a left coset of $H,$ and we call $Hy$ a right coset of $H.$ Is there a special name for sets of the form $xHy$? Is there a name or notation for the family of sets $\{xHy\,|\,x,y\in G\}?$

share|cite|improve this question
$xHy=((yx)H)^y$ so its a conjugate of a left coset. I'm not sure if there's a term or not. – Alexander Gruber Mar 13 '13 at 18:19
Maybe one would call it a bicoset? I doubt there's any standard term, though. – Avi Steiner Mar 13 '13 at 18:20
What would you use such a set for? – Qiaochu Yuan Mar 13 '13 at 18:58
@QiaochuYuan They came up in my attempt at understanding how products of subsets of $G$ work. I'm not sure yet what I want to do with them because it's all a bit blurry, but they seem significant at the moment. I thought if I had a name I could read up. – Bartek Mar 13 '13 at 19:02
It appears that whatever you call them, it should not be double coset (although it sounds like a sensible name) because this already refers to sets of the form $HxK$ for two subgroups $H,K$ and an element $x$. – Matthew Pressland Mar 13 '13 at 22:10

Alexander and Serkan point out that the individual elements are just special types of cosets: $xHy = (xy) H^y = H^{x^{-1}} (xy)$. This is a special subset of $G$ that is both a left and right coset (of possibly different but conjugate subgroups).

I don't believe it has a special name.

A different idea that is better suited to the entire collection $\{ xHy : x,y \in G \}$ is that $G \times G$ acts on $\{ xHy : x,y \in G \}$ via $(xHy)^{(r,s)} = r^{-1} x H ys$. The action is clearly transitive, and the stabilizer of $H$ is $H \times H$. Hence I would describe it as the space of cosets $(G\times G)/(H \times H)$. The correspondance between the usual definition is $(H \times H)(x^{-1},y) \mapsto xHy$. This is well defined because if $h,k \in H$ then $(H \times H)(hx^{-1}, ky) \mapsto x h^{-1} H ky = xHy$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.