Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When .5 and .5 combine additionally, you get one. You can say "they add to one".

When the sqr(2)/2 combines with another sqr(2)/2 in pythagoreans theory to get one, you can say they ____.

Fill in the blank please.

It's been bothering me that I can't have a word to describe this, because numbers that "add" in this way to have the unit vector length of one is important in vector math. I want to say they "add" to one, but they obviously don't add to one.

share|cite|improve this question
I think about all you can say is, "when $\sqrt2/2$ and $\sqrt2/2$ combine according to $a\#b=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}$, they combine to give $1$." You could make up a word: $\sqrt2/2$ and $\sqrt2/2$ hypotenize to $1$, or $\sqrt2/2$ and $\sqrt2/2$ pythagorize to $1$. But, please, don't. – Gerry Myerson Mar 11 '13 at 6:26

How about: They sum to $\sqrt 2$?$\quad\quad\quad$

Or they "add up to $\sqrt 2$."?

...if you mean to refer to $\dfrac{\sqrt 2}{2} + \dfrac{\sqrt 2}{2}$.

...Or "the sum of their squares adds up to $1$" (since this relates to Pythagorean Theorem, which you mention)?

share|cite|improve this answer
the sum of their squares add to 1, that sounds better but not what I am hoping for. Suppose it's not root two over two but it's some arbitrary values and I want to describe the process that obtains the length of their vector if they were combined to be a vector. Like the word "vectorize" but I doubt that is it. – Dan Webster Mar 11 '13 at 5:54
It would depend, I think, on the operations involved. – amWhy Mar 11 '13 at 5:56

are components of unit vector.

The main thing is that their sum is a vector sum, and they are cartesian components of that vector ( that happen to add up to one ).

share|cite|improve this answer
Vector sum seems good enough I guess, was hoping for some special word I was not aware of, but I'll choose this as the answer, and plus one – Dan Webster Mar 11 '13 at 6:54
On second thought, vector sum has the meaning of literally adding vectors so I can't use that :( – Dan Webster Mar 11 '13 at 21:10

You might say "they add to 1 in quadrature," although it'd be a bit nonstandard.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.