Sign up ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How can I derive the formula for the normal unit-vector to the curve of a function at a given point $p$?

share|cite|improve this question

1 Answer 1

If curve is represented by $f(x,y)=0$, then $\nabla f_{(x_0,y_0)}$ is normal vector to curve at point $(x_0,y_0)$

share|cite|improve this answer
What's the name for that reflected $\Delta$? – saadtaame Mar 7 '13 at 19:29
'nabla', it is. – Aang Mar 7 '13 at 19:34

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.