Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I see references to Lagrangian Submanifolds in the literature but don't know what they are. Is there a relation to Lagrangian Tori (which I also don't know what are). Could someone give a definition that includes an intuitive explanation for what their use is?

share|cite|improve this question
It's not entirely clear from your question whether you found these definitions:… and . – joriki Apr 11 '11 at 5:53
up vote 2 down vote accepted

It's a special kind of submanifold of a symplectic manifold; see the definition on Wikipedia. There was a question about this on Math Overflow not long ago, where you will find some good answers.

share|cite|improve this answer
Since again you posted this answer 2 minutes after I posted a comment, let me explain :-). At first I posted it as an answer (with our discussion about comments and answers in mind), but then I realized that the question asked for a lot more than what I wrote, and in fact could be interpreted such that it doesn't actually ask for a raw definition, so I decided to turn it into a comment instead. – joriki Apr 11 '11 at 6:02
@joriki: Hello again! No need to apologize. Writing that explanation must have been more work for you than writing the comment in the first place. ;) – Hans Lundmark Apr 11 '11 at 8:21

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.