Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Your simplest math question of the day---but I really want to know!

Is there a name for the half-diagonal of a rectangle?

enter image description here

share|cite|improve this question
Half diagonal of the rectangle? [No, in earnest: Why invent special names if a short, simple description is available?] – vonbrand Feb 26 '13 at 20:51
"radius of the circumscribed circle"? – user7530 Feb 26 '13 at 21:02
@vonbrand--agreed, simple is best and half-diagonal is just fine with me. I'm using this measurement in collision tests that I'm working on, and ironically (for me) "circumradius" conjurs in my mind an outward-looking measurement where half-diagonal conjurs and internal measurement. If it were a different word, I might think otherwise. How about that--"feelings" in math! – markE Feb 26 '13 at 22:08
up vote 1 down vote accepted

For regular polygons (i.e. if this were a square) this would be called the "radius" or "circumradius". Likewise for regular polygons, the distance from the center to a center of a side is called the "apothem" or "inradius".

Circumradius is an appropriate name for rectangles as well, because it is possible to inscribe any rectangle in a circle, and the segment you describe is a radius of that circle.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.