Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let $\mathbb{B}, \mathbb{V}$ two sets. I have defined a function $f: \mathbb{B} \rightarrow \mathbb{V}$.

$\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{B})$ means the power set of $\mathbb{B}$, I am looking for a function $g: (\mathbb{B} \rightarrow \mathbb{V}) \times \mathcal{P}(\mathbb{B}) \rightarrow (\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{B}) \rightarrow \mathbb{V})$ which can filter the domain of $f$ by a subset of $\mathbb{B}$, that means $g: (f, \mathbb{S}) \mapsto h$ such that the domain of $h$ is $\mathbb{S}$ and $\forall x \in \mathbb{S}, h(x) = f(x)$.

I am wondering if this kind of function exists already. If not, is there a better way to define it?

Could anyone help?

share|cite|improve this question
Yes. I read the question wrong, so I deleted my previous answer. @Andres, you should post this as an answer. – Asaf Karagila Feb 23 '13 at 0:44
@AsafKaragila, well I really tried hard to understand your answer...:-) – SoftTimur Feb 23 '13 at 0:49
Timur: I am sorry for wasting your time... I thought that you were looking for a function $h$ such that $h\colon\Bbb{B\to V}$ and for all $x\in\Bbb S$ we have $f(x)=h(x)$; and that if $f'(x)=f(x)$ then $g(f,\Bbb S)=h$ as well. – Asaf Karagila Feb 23 '13 at 0:51
If "$\mathbb{B} \to \mathbb{V}$" means the set of functions from $\mathbb{B}$ to $\mathbb{V}$, which is usually denoted by "$\mathbb{V}^\mathbb{B}$", then $\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{B}) \to \mathbb{V}$ is probably not what you want to consider. I think you mean $\bigcup_{A \in \mathcal{P}({\mathbb{B}})}(A \to \mathbb{V})$. A function on the powerset is not the same as a function on a subset. – Trevor Wilson Feb 23 '13 at 1:15
Let $\mathbb{B}$ be a singleton, $\{*\}$. Then the first set consists of functions from the two-element set $\{\emptyset,\{*\}\}$, the second set consists of functions from the singleton $\{*\}$, together with the empty function, and the third set consists of sets of functions from $\{*\}$. – Trevor Wilson Feb 23 '13 at 1:48
up vote 2 down vote accepted

What you denote $g(f,\mathbb S)$ is usually called the restriction of $f$ to $\mathbb S$, and denoted $f|\mathbb S$ or $f\upharpoonright \mathbb S$. Sometimes this notation is used even if $\mathbb S$ is not contained in the domain of $f$, in which case it is understood to be $f\upharpoonright A$, where $A=\mathbb S\cap{\rm dom}(f)$.

(And, agreeing with Trevor's comment, the range of $g$ should be $\bigcup_{\mathbb S\in\mathcal P(\mathbb B)}(\mathbb S\to \mathbb V)$ rather than ${\mathcal P}(\mathbb B)\to\mathbb V$. Anyway, I much prefer the notation $A^B$ or ${}^B A$ instead of $B\to A$.)

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.