Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Given the function $f:X\longrightarrow Y$, $X$ is called the domain while $Y$ is called the codomain. But what do you call $f(x)=x^2$ in this context, where $x\in X$? That is to say - what is the name for the $f(x)$ notation?

And while I'm here, what is the proper way to write a function like this? Would it be $f:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R},\;f(x)=x^2$?


I figured I'd add this to add a bit of context into why I'm asking. I'm writing a set of notes in LaTeX, and I'd like to use the correct terminology for the definition of a function.

A function from set $A$ to set $B$, denoted by $$f:A\to B;x\mapsto f(x)$$ is a mapping of elements from set $A$, (the $\textit{domain}$) to elements in set $B$ (the $\textit{codomain}$) using the $\color{blue}{\sf function}$ $f(x)$. The domain of a function is the set of all valid elements for a function to map from. The codomain of a function is the set of all possible values that an element from the domain can be mapped to. The $\textit{range}$ (sometimes called the $\textit{image}$) of a function is a subset of the codomain, and is the set of all elements that actually get mapped to by the function $f$.

Here I'm pretty sure the highlighted word "function" is not right.

share|cite|improve this question
I suggest \to or \rightarrow instead of \longrightarrow. The last one is there for if you need the arrow to be longer because you're writing something over it. As in $\overset{\text{text}}{\longrightarrow}$ instead of $\overset{\text{text}}{\to}$. – Jim Feb 22 '13 at 23:16
why do you think that function is not right = – Dominic Michaelis Feb 22 '13 at 23:36
Some would call "$f(x)=x^2$" the rule of the function $f$. – David Mitra Feb 22 '13 at 23:44
@DominicMichaelis Well, function is used in two places to mean two slightly different things; I don't like using function to describe part of a function. – agent154 Feb 22 '13 at 23:47
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I can remember to read this text, and being puzzled with the exact same question. From what I've learned from my teacher, you're right, writing down something as "the function $f(x)$..." is sloppy notation. However, many books/people will use it this way.

If you're are very precise, $f(x)$ is not a function or an map. I don't know of a standard way to refer to $f(x)$, but here is some usage I found on the internet:

  • The output of a function $f$ corresponding to an input $x$ is denoted by $f(x)$.
  • Some would call "$f(x)=x^2$" the rule of the function $f$.
  • For each argument $x$, the corresponding unique $y$ in the codomain is called the function value at $x$ or the image of $x$ under $f$. It is written as $f(x)$.
  • If there is some relation specifying $f(x)$ in terms of $x$, then $f(x)$ is known as a dependent variable (and $x$ is an independent variable).

A correct way to notate your function $f$ is: $$f:\Bbb{R}\to\Bbb{R}:x\mapsto f(x)=x^2$$

Note that $f(x)\in\Bbb{R}$ and $f\not\in\Bbb{R}$. But the function $f$ is an element of the set of continuous functions, and $f(x)$ isn't.

In some areas of math it is very important to notate a function/map specifying it's domain, codomain and function rule. However in for example calculus/physics, you'll see that many times only the function rule $f(x)$ is specified, as the reader is supposed to understand domain/codmain from the context.

You can also check those questions:

share|cite|improve this answer
Nice, Kasper +1 – amWhy Feb 23 '13 at 1:50

normally you say $f:X\rightarrow Y$; $x\mapsto f(x)$, as a functions takes an element from $X$ and give you one from $Y$. $$y=f(x)$$ Is an equation, and not a definition of a function in a strict sense.

The proper way would be $$f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}; \ x\mapsto x^2$$

The Image of a function is definied as $$\operatorname{im}f:=\{f(x)|x\in X\}$$ It is often written as $$f(X):=\{f(x)|x\in X\}$$ Notice that $X$ is a set, not an element. so $f(\{x\})=\{f(x)\}\subseteq Y$ while $f(x)\in Y$

share|cite|improve this answer
I was wondering - is $f(x)$ called the image? I've seen that word used but only know it to be synonymous with Range. – agent154 Feb 22 '13 at 23:15
not $f(x)$ but $f(X)$ note the different as $X$ is a set but $x$ is an element – Dominic Michaelis Feb 22 '13 at 23:19
@agent154 You can say "$f(x)$ is the image of the element $x$ under the function $f$". Perhaps this is what you were thinking of (here of course "image" means something different than the image of the function). – David Mitra Feb 22 '13 at 23:32
@davidMitra i would be careful with that, as the image is a set but $f(x)$ is an element of $Y$ – Dominic Michaelis Feb 22 '13 at 23:34
The notation $f(X)$ is also written (in set theory) as $f[X]$ and $f''X$ sometimes, often because the elements of the set are sets themselves, and sometimes $f(x)\neq f''x$. – Asaf Karagila Feb 22 '13 at 23:35

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.