I am wanting to count how many times synonymous and non- synonymous mutations appear in a sequence of DNA, given the number of synonymous and non- synonymous mutations in each 3 letter codon. ie given that AAA has 7 synonymous and 1 non- synonymous equations, and CCC has 6 and 3 respectively, then the sequence AAACCC would have 13 synonymous and 4 non- synonymous mutations. However, these sequences could have 10k + letters with a total of 64 different 3 letter combinations... How could I set up an M file, using for / else if statements to count the mutations? Thanks
- Anybody can ask a question
- Anybody can answer
- The best answers are voted up and rise to the top
Assuming you have filtered out the data errors and each time you nicely have three letter, here is one approach:
1) Make your data look like this:
2) Count how many times each of the 64 options occurs.
3) Multiply that found number of times with the corresponding syn and non-sym mutations.
That should be it!
Note that step 2 and 3 can easily be achieved with Excel as well. If you are not fluent in matlab it will probably even be quicker.