Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A fund of $ \$500 $ is to be accumulated by $ n $ annual payments of $ \$100 $, plus a final payment as small as possible made one year after the last regular payment. If $ i = 0.09 $, find $ n $ and the amount of final payment.

I have gotten as far as:

$$ 500 = 100 \times (1.09)^{n} + P(1.09)^{n + 1}, $$ $$ \frac{500 - 100(1.09)^{n}}{(1.09)^{n + 1}} = P. $$

share|cite|improve this question

You pay $100$. After a year, that has grown to $109$, and you pay another $100$, making a balance of $209$. After another year, that $209$ has grown to ... how much? And you pay another $100$, making a balance of ... how much? And you do that one more year, and how much do you have? And what happens then?

share|cite|improve this answer

Let $x_k$ be the amount at year $k$, with $x_0 = 100$. Then we have $x_{k+1} = (1+r) x_k+100$, with $r=0.09$. A few terms suggests a general solution, $x_0 = 100, x_1 = 100(1+r)$, $x_2 = 100(1+r)^2+100(1+r),..., x_{n-1} = 100(1+r)^{n-1}+...+100$.

After the $n$th payment another year elapses before a final payment of $F_n$ is made, resulting in a total of $500$, ie, \begin{eqnarray} 500 &=& 100(1+r)^{n}+...+100(1+r) + F_n \\ & = & 100(1+r)\frac{1-(1+r)^n}{1-(1+r)} +F_n \\ & = & 100(1+\frac{1}{r})((1+r)^n-1) + F_n \end{eqnarray} Rearranging gives $F_n = 500-100(1+\frac{1}{r})((1+r)^n-1)$. Note that $F_n$ is decreasing from $F_0 = 500$, so we can compute $\max \{ n | F_n \geq 0 \}$ to find the answer.

(As a sanity check, with $r=0$ we would have $n=5$ and $F_5 = 0$, so we expect $n < 5$.)

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.