Take the 2-minute tour ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What would the conventional or an otherwise useful notation for the second-highest value of $v_i, i=1,\ldots,n$ be?

I use $v_{n-1:n}$, which I used in statistics, but that may not be quite intuitively graspable. $v_{(n-1)}$ seems like asking for trouble.

So perhaps I am missing an obvious candidate. Any suggestions?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

The name for what you're after is order statistic.

If you have a sample $X_1, \dots, X_n$ the conventional notation for the $i$th order statistic is $X_{(i)}$, so the second highest value in the sample would be $X_{(n-1)}$ as you suggested.

share|improve this answer
Thanks. Nothing along the lines of $v_{(n)}=\max_i v_i, v_{(n-1)}=\mathrm{blabla}_i v_i$? –  Glen The Udderboat Feb 14 '13 at 18:16
I found this and there's nothing like $\mathrm{blabla}$ there. Done. –  Glen The Udderboat Feb 15 '13 at 7:56

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.