Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I don't exactly remember whether I should get the common area under the curves of the functions being convolved or I should multiply them and get the area under the resulting curve.

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

The formula for convolution of $f$ and $g$ is $(f \star g)(x) = \int f(s) g(x-s)\ ds$. So you take the area under the product of one function and a reflected and translated version of the other.

share|cite|improve this answer

Here is a demo for doing convolution with respect a set of choices of filters. There is an animate button as well.

share|cite|improve this answer
I can't find the "animate" button – Amr Feb 14 '13 at 10:31
Next to "1D filters" there are some choices. If you click on any of them the graph of the corresponding filter shows. Next to that graph is the button for "animate". – Maesumi Feb 14 '13 at 13:25

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.