Take the 2-minute tour ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Usually the partial numerators of a continued fraction are all 1s.

Has anyone considered the operation where you convolve 1 continued fraction with another, in other words, make a new continued fraction formed by replacing the partial numerators of continued fraction $b$ with the terms of continued fraction $a$ (with $a$ being truncated or repeated as necessary to cover the length of $b$) ? Is there any neat way to express the result of this in terms of the original real numbers ?

I am asking this before I have done any work or by-hand examples of this myself. I will probably run something on the computer or by hand over the weekend and will possibly update if it's interesting.

share|improve this question
I would say "convolve" rather than "convolute". –  Michael Hardy Feb 8 '13 at 19:10
Now, I would too. Let me correct that. –  Cris Stringfellow Feb 8 '13 at 19:19
this is on ice at the moment, and I do want to investigate this. –  Cris Stringfellow Feb 16 '13 at 21:01
did anything ever happen with this? –  Alexander Gruber Jun 17 at 6:34

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.