Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the difference between these two terms, or are they completely synonymous? I have frequently seen either used in connection with pitch and roll.

share|cite|improve this question

closed as off topic by Ittay Weiss, Jonathan Christensen, Paul, ncmathsadist, Antonio Vargas Feb 7 '13 at 3:41

Questions on Mathematics Stack Exchange are expected to relate to math within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

are you sure you are in the right place for this question? Did you at all bother to google these terms and read the Wiki articles on them? – Ittay Weiss Feb 7 '13 at 2:17
Yes, a few times, and with no luck at all. And yes, I am pretty certain there is no more relevant place to ask this general question. – Levi Lindsey Feb 7 '13 at 21:05
up vote 2 down vote accepted

There are others probably more qualified to speak on this subject than I, but from what I've gleaned from the Wikipedia pages on Azimuth and Yaw:

Azimuth seems to be used to represent an absolute heading, while yaw is a measurement of how much a craft turns from its current orientation.

Thus, if your azimuth went from $90^\circ$ to $184^\circ$, your yaw was $94^\circ$, while your current azimuth is $184^\circ$.

share|cite|improve this answer
So yaw is merely change in azimuth? It just seems odd, considering that I know that the corresponding terms for the other axes--pitch and roll--are commonly used both to describe absolute orientation and change of orientation. – Levi Lindsey Feb 7 '13 at 21:10
I will give a disclaimer that I could be wrong. However, upon reading those wiki articles (and from what else I've read when looking at compass sensors), I see azimuth always referring to absolute heading. Yaw I typically see referring to change in heading:… – apnorton Feb 7 '13 at 22:33

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.