Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a universally recognized term for ODEs considered in the sense of distributions used to describe impulsive/discontinuous processes? I noticed that some authors call such ODEs "measure differential equations" while others use the term "differential equations in distributions". But I don't see a major difference between them. Can anyone please make the point clear? Thank you.

share|cite|improve this question
I thought those were jump processes (as described by their stochastic DE)/jump diffusions? Not all stochastic processes are discontinuous, obviously. – gnometorule Feb 4 '13 at 19:33
up vote 1 down vote accepted

As long as the distributions involved in the equation are (signed) measures, there is no difference and both terms can be used interchangeably. This is the case for impulsive source equations like $y''+y=\delta_{t_0}$.

Conceivably, ODE could also involve distributions that are not measures, such as the derivative of $\delta_{t_0}$. In that case only "differentiable equation in distributions" would be correct. But I can't think of a natural example of such an ODE at this time.

share|cite|improve this answer
Thank you, 5PM! Your answer is really helpful. In-depth discussion about difference between measures and distributions can be found at… – Ivan Matan Feb 6 '13 at 17:17

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.