Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I know I need to use $1+\tan^2(x) = \sec^2(x)$, but I don't know what to do next ? How do I get my $U$ variable so I can use $U$ substitution?

share|cite|improve this question
You know the derivative of $\tan x$ is $\sec^2 x$, so if you can write it as some power of $\tan x$ times $\sec^2 x$ (or a couple of those added together), you are good to go. – Graphth Feb 3 '13 at 21:25

I would let $U:=\tan(x)$, say. Then, as the comment says, $dU=\sec^2(x)dx$.

So, we have $\int\tan^6(x)\sec^4(x)dx = \int U^6(1+U^2)dU$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Since the derivative of $\tan x$ is $\sec^2x$, you want to have all tangents except for one factor of $\sec^2x$ that will be part of your $du$. Use the identity that you mentioned to convert two of the secants to tangents:


Now let $u=\tan x$, $du=\sec^2x~dx$, and your integral becomes

$$\int u^6\left(1+u^2\right)du\;.$$

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.