Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a set of points in a unit square $x = [-1,1]$ and $y = [-1,1]$ and I want to remap them to their equivalent points in a regular polygon ($n \geq 3$; Triangle and so on).

I've found a really good article on mapping a unit square to a unit circle

But, I couldn't figure out mapping it to a polygon.

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Maybe you've heard of the Schwarz-Christoffel mapping? It takes the upper half-plane in $\mathbb{C}$ to a polygon.

share|cite|improve this answer
It probably is the solution, but it is way beyond my math knowledge to understand it. I wonder if there is a simpler explanation. – rwb Jan 28 '13 at 17:28
You do need to understand conformal mapping from Complex Analysis. But I know of no other solution in general. And it leads to nice integrals for the triangle. – Ron Gordon Jan 28 '13 at 17:30
Also, I tried voting up your answer, but unfortunately I don't have enough points to do that yet. Sorry. – rwb Jan 28 '13 at 17:46
@rwb: that's OK, try again later when you do. – Ron Gordon Jan 28 '13 at 19:28

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.