Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am dealing with a piece of software which calculates temperatures, and corrects these based on measurements (which may be in error) as follows:-

  1. The difference between the corresponding calculated and measured temperatures are found, and arranged in ascending order.
  2. From this set of temperature differences, subsets are found for which the difference between the largest and smallest element of the subset is less than or equal to some constant.
  3. The average of the elements of the largest subset is used as a correction to the measured values.

Does anyone know what this method is called, and where I might find out more about it?

share|cite|improve this question
This looks like a modified version of a Winsorized mean of the differences. – cardinal Mar 22 '11 at 23:58

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.