Sign up ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In most 2D computer graphic rendering applications (HTML Canvas, Flash, etc...), the coordinate system used is like this:

enter image description here

My question is, what is the mathematical/technical name for this kind of coordinate system? Inverted Cartesian?

share|cite|improve this question
The way these axes are oriented is negative that of the "standard" orientation. I guess you could call this the "left-handed" plane, since the cross product here obeys the left-hand rule. – A Blumenthal Jan 22 '13 at 6:05
@ABlumenthal What does cross product mean here? There is no $z$ axis. – Trevor Wilson Jan 22 '13 at 6:07
Math can't really tell us what a coordinate system "is", just how to change from one to another. Because you are considering two systems related by a reflection, you could call one of them "reflected Cartesian coordinates" (which one of the two is "reflected" is just a matter of convention.) – Trevor Wilson Jan 22 '13 at 6:10

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.