Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let $\{ a_j \}_{j \in \mathbb{N}}$ be any sequence of real numbers satisfying the following property:

There exists a number $N \in \mathbb{N}$ such that $a_k<a_j$ for all $k\geq j+N$.

What is such a sequence called?

If $N=1$, $\{a_j\}_{j \in \mathbb{N}}$ is of course an decreasing sequence.

One example of such a sequence with N=2 is -1,0,-2,-1,-3,-2,-4,-3,...

share|cite|improve this question
Isn't it decreasing if $N=1$? You have $k\gt j$ implies $a_k\lt a_j$. – Gerry Myerson Jan 21 '13 at 12:07
Typo :) It should now be correct – malin Jan 21 '13 at 19:19

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.