Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

image of rollercoaster loop

I am trying to find the equation for the form that is in the picture. Basically it is an infinitely extending roller coaster loop. I just can not find the magic words in Google.

Any suggestions? What is it called? What is the equation?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

$(\cos(t)+\alpha t,\sin(t))$ for some $\alpha>0$ should work.

See a graph at

share|cite|improve this answer

You may want to try and stitch together a bunch of clothoids, which seem to be state of the art in rollercoaster design.

They are related to the Euler spiral, see

The reference may be of particular interest.

share|cite|improve this answer
I actually got to both of those web pages. But surely there is a relatively simple, maybe parametric, equation for this basic form, no? – Paul Jan 13 '13 at 14:01

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.