Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

As a beginner I would like to know if this form of floating point number model (and possibly notation) has a distinguished name. In the model, a floating point number is defined by: $$ a = \pm m \cdot 2^k $$ where $$ m = \sum\limits_{i=1}^{t}m_i2^{-i} $$ $t\in\mathbb{N}, m_i\in\{0,1\}, m_1 = 1, k\in\mathbb{Z}$

So far I've tried Floating point and IEEE Floating point and I've seen that they're quite similar systems. I've read this model in a book and I'm trying to determine if the author is using an arbitrary model similar to IEEE Floating point or if this notation has a name on it's own (even if the model is a subset of IEEE's). Also I've found it disturbing that it's not stated in my book whether $\mathbb{N}$ refers to $\mathbb{N_0}$ or $\mathbb{N_1}$, even if $\mathbb{N_0}$ doesn't make sense for me here. So I've tried to check if there's another book|paper on this particular model, but I couldn't refer to my model without a name.

share|cite|improve this question
Floating-point is a class of number representations. The model in your question is a generic example of a floating-point representation. IEEE floating-point is a particular instance of a floating-point representation, which you would get if you bounded the range of $k$ and $t$ and specified how to encode $\pm$, $m$, and $k$ in binary. – Rahul Jan 12 '13 at 18:25

It looks like you're just writing in binary numbers with finite support.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.