Take the 2-minute tour ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Let $X$ be Laplace distributed with mean $\mu_L$ and scale parameter $\lambda$, and $Y$ be Gaussian distributed with mean $\mu_G$ and standard deviation $\sigma$.

Is there a name for the probability distribution describing the variable $Z=X+Y$?

share|improve this question
I don't think so. You tried googling? –  dineshdileep Jan 11 '13 at 6:27
I'm pretty sure there's not. –  Jonathan Christensen Jan 11 '13 at 18:08
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.