Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Imagine we have a cone filled with water, if we were to take the upper portion of that cone how would we calculate the volume of water present. For example:

enter image description here

So, in this example we have a surface area of 100 m^2, a depth of 300 m and a length at the base of 10 m. Is this solved by calculating the area at the bottom of the cone i.e. pi*0.5*10 ^2 and then when combined with the depth we could calculate the volume?

Any advise would be appreciated.

share|cite|improve this question
It is called frustum of a cone. – Maesumi Jan 10 '13 at 20:08
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I would calculate the volume of water in the entire cone, and then subtract off the volume in the truncated portion. This requires you to figure out the depth of the entire cone. You can do this by considering a right triangle having a "central" leg through the center of the cone, a "top" leg across the surface, and the hypotenuse running down the side of the cone:

    |      /
300 |     /
    |   /
  x |  /
    | /

You can figure out $y$ using the given area of the surface (it will be the radius of the circle whose area is $100m^2$ in your example).

Then you can use trig to solve for $x$, and can then compute the volume of the whole cone (which has height $300+x$ and top radius $y$), and also the smaller cone (which has height $x$ and radius $y$); subtracting these will give you the answer you seek.

share|cite|improve this answer

See the explanation in website

share|cite|improve this answer
Suggestion: If you're not going to add anything, save for providing a link, such "link-only" answers are generally not good answers and are best left as comments (providing a "link-only" answer is grounds for flagging for deletion of an answer/conversion to comment.) – amWhy Jan 10 '13 at 20:33

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.