Sign up ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the PDE called where the rate of change is proportional to the velocity/gradient information?

$\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial t}=kV$, where $k$ is a constant and $V$ is the velocity.

According to wiki, it seems like Advection equation (The advection equation is the partial differential equation that governs the motion of a conserved scalar field as it is advected by a known velocity vector field). But the PDE isn't exactly what I am looking for.

share|cite|improve this question
Could you explain the relation between $\phi$ and $V$ in your equation? – user53153 Jan 18 '13 at 1:57
$V$ is the gradient of a function $f$ which depends on $\phi$. – John Smith Jan 18 '13 at 5:12

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.