Take the 2-minute tour ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

For example, suppose that $V$ is a vector space, $A \in \operatorname{End}V$, and $U \subset V$ is an $A$-invariant subspace, and $\pi_{V/U}: V \to V/U$ the natural projection. Then $A$ induces a unique operator $\hat{A} \in \operatorname{End}(V/U)$ such that $\pi_{V/U} \circ A = \hat{A} \circ \pi_{V/U}$. Is there a generally accepted notation for $\hat{A}$?

share|improve this question

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.