Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In my research I found it useful to define a following operator ($^{*}$) in Clifford algebra:
If $a \in G_{p,q}$, (where $p$ is number of elements that square to $1$, and $q$ is the number of elements that square to $-1$) that is $a=\sum_{i=1}^{2^{p+q}}a^{i}\bar G_{p,q}[i]$, where $\bar G_{p,q}[i]$ denotes $i$'th basis of clifford algebra $G_{p,q}$ ,then $$a^{*}=\sum_{i=1}^{2^{p+q}}a_i\big(\bar G_{p,q}[i]\big)^{3}$$

This operator has the property that $Re(a^{*}a)=\sum_{i=1}^{2^{p+q}}a_i^2$, where $Re(a)$ is defined as $Re(a)=a_0$.
I searched on the internet, but I could not find any mention of this operator. I wonder if I can somehow represent this operator in terms of the known operators(the ones I know are reverse, conjugate and grade involution, however they are all blind to the exact values of p,q and only depend on their sum) so that I don't need to introduce new notation. Or maybe someone has already given a name to this operator but I can not find it? What is a good name for this operator?

share|cite|improve this question
Did you intend $\overline{G}_{p,q}[i]$ to be the basis arising from an orthonormal basis? – rschwieb Jan 2 '13 at 20:12
@rschwieb yes, that is what i meant – Sunny88 Jan 3 '13 at 6:14
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Suppose you begin with an orthonormal basis (orthonormal in the sense that the elements are orthogonal and square to either 1 or -1) for $V$.

Then (if I understand your notation correctly), the standard basis elements square to $\pm1$, so $(\overline{G}_{p,q}[i])^3=\pm[\overline{G}_{p,q}[i]]$ where the sign depends on the grade of the basis element and the mixture of elements with square 1 and square -1 appearing there.

The effect on the basis for $V$ is that the elements squaring to -1 are mirrored in the opposite direction, but the elements squaring to 1 are unaffected. It's an involution of some kind. In the quaternions, for example, that map is just the usual conjugate. Unfortunately, I have no ideas how the involutions of general Clifford algebras behave :(

If I had to make up a name for an involution that reversed the basis elements with square -1 this way, I would call it a "time-like reflection".

share|cite|improve this answer
How does cubing an element give it back up to sign? – Mariano Suárez-Alvarez Jan 2 '13 at 20:33
@MarianoSuárez-Alvarez If I'm reading his notation correctly, that's what would happen for orthonormal basis elements. – rschwieb Jan 2 '13 at 20:50
Oooo. I see. ${}{}$ – Mariano Suárez-Alvarez Jan 2 '13 at 20:53
I found out that this is called just "conjugate" and denoted by $^{\dagger}$, at least in this book: "Geometric algebra with applications in engineering" by Christian Perwass. – Sunny88 Jan 17 '13 at 11:09

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.