Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Since this is a very simple question, i didn't want ask this here not to bother you, so i saw wikipedia and googled this but still don't get what this space is called..

I want to know (i)name, (ii)abbreviation and (iii)Latex of this space. (i.e. (i)Real Number (ii)$\mathbb{R}$ (iii)$\text{ \mathbb{R}}$)

Here it is;

$A(X)$ is a set of all complex-valued, continuous, bounded functions with domain $X$ where $X$ is a metric space.

What is this $A(X)$ called? Thank you in advance..

share|cite|improve this question
Usually $C(X)$ denotes the continuous $\Bbb C$ valued functions, I'm not aware of any specific name, and somehow you should also express boundedness, it is usually done by a subscript 'b'. – Berci Dec 14 '12 at 10:21
On this Wikipedia page they denote this space by $C_B(X)$. – arjafi Dec 14 '12 at 10:24
up vote 3 down vote accepted

"Continuous" only refers to the topology so there's no reason to restrict yourself to the case of metric spaces. My understanding is that the standard notation is $C_b(X)$ ($C$ for continuous, $b$ for bounded, and the complex is implied). With the sup norm this is a C*-algebra, isomorphic via the Gelfand representation to the C*-algebra $C(\beta X)$ of all continuous complex-valued functions on the Stone-Čech compactification of $X$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.