Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Assume $(G,+)$ is an (abelian) group. And we have some unit $u$ (not the unit from ring theory, but some measurement unit like meters, seconds, etc.).

Then with $G_u = \{k\ u \mid k \in G\}$ and $+_u: G_u^2 \rightarrow G_u, (x\ u,y\ u) \mapsto (x + y)\ u$:
$(G_u,+_u)$ should be an (abelian) group again (with $1_u = 1\ u$).

So I'm wondering if there is a common notation, or a simpler representation for this. I was thinking about something like $G \times \{u\}$ but technically $u + u = u$ doesn't make sense, so the canonic tuple addition doesn't work.

Note that this doesn't work for rings as e.g. $4 cm / 2 cm = 2$ which would violate closure.

share|cite|improve this question
It's the exact same thing except instead of saying 6 you say 6 seconds. I have never heard of it and I'm guessing there's not a common name for it. – Graphth Dec 8 '12 at 15:52
@Graphth: Maybe this question would be better on physics.SE as I could imagine such a thing to be particularly interesting for physicists, who deal a lot with units; But they probably need something that preserves field properties, not just group properties. – bitmask Dec 8 '12 at 15:56

Let $S$ be the set of words $S=\{k u: k \in G\}$. Then $S$ is a $G$-set under the action $(k u)g=kgu$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.