Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

Let $k\in \mathbb Z$; is there a name for the function $f(k)$ below? $$ f(k) = \text{max}(k, 0) $$

share|cite|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Jonas Meyer, Davide Giraudo, Conifold, Brian Fitzpatrick, amWhy Aug 15 '14 at 19:49

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

In optimization, the generalized form of your function $f(x,c) = \max(x-c,0)$ is often referred to as a hinge function. – cardinal Mar 6 '11 at 19:44
up vote 10 down vote accepted

This could be called the "positive part" of $k$ and denoted $f(k)=k^+$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Write $|x| = |x|_{+} + |x|_{-}$, where $|x|_{\pm} = \pm x \theta(\pm x)$, where $\theta$ is the Heaviside step function. Then your function is the restriction of the function $|x|_{+}$, the positive part of the absolute value function, that is, on $\mathbb{Z}$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.