Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I sometimes see following objects in papers, $$\sup_{r\in K} \langle x,r\rangle$$ or $$\inf_{r\in K} \langle x,r\rangle$$

I know its meaning changes according to the set $K$, but I would like to gain insight when I see these type of things. What they mean actually?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Remember the inner product's relationship to angles between vectors in $\mathbb{R}^n$ $$cos(\theta)= \frac{\langle x, y \rangle}{\|x\|\|y\|}.$$

Assuming that the set $K$ is norm bounded what you are looking for is the vector in $K$ that points most in the direction of $x$ or most in the opposite direction (the direction of $-x$). In a general inner product space or Hilbert space the same intuition applies.

share|cite|improve this answer
thank you travis! – oeda Dec 7 '12 at 13:01

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.