Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Say I have numbers that are all multiple of 2, I would say, well they are multiples of two. How are numbers $x$ called with respect to $a$ that are all formed like $x = a^b$?

I am assuming here that $b$ is a positive integer.

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

They are called powers of $a$ (although this is most common when $b$ is a positive integer).

share|cite|improve this answer
Thanks, edited the question to make the point that b should be a positive integer clearer. – kutschkem Dec 5 '12 at 13:32

Here are some more formal definitions:



share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.