Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Perhaps this isn't the best place to ask, but I'm trying to figure out the proper name for the region that exists in-between two points in higher dimensions. Under certain conditions, n-cube or hypercube would be appropriate, but I'm looking for a more general name.

For example, if the point coordinates are (1,1) and (-1,-1), then the points define a square. The points (-1,1) and (1,-1) define the same region. However, if the point coordinates are (1,1,1) and (-1,-1,-1), then the points define a cube. However, if the points were (1,1,1) and (-1,-1,0), then region defined isn't quite a cube. Same idea applies with more than 3 dimensions.

I ask because I'm trying to name such a space, preferably with 1-2 words instead of a 3+ word phrase.

share|cite|improve this question
"N-dimensional box" or "box" for short. – Sergei Dec 5 '12 at 0:42
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Your are looking for "$n$-dimensional interval" (each coordinate is in a one-dimensional interval).

share|cite|improve this answer

It is called Hyperrectangle or Box

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.