Sign up ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Given two row vectors, $(a, b, c )$, and $( x, y, z )$, does the operation of creating a new row vector in the format $$( ax, by, cz )$$ have a name?

share|cite|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted
  • Just call it element wise multiplication.
  • Some people also like to use Hadamard Product.
  • Else, $$p=(a,b,c)\quad q=(x,y,z)$$ $$N=\sum_{i=1}^3p_iq_ie_i$$

  • Alternately,

$$N=diag(a)\times b$$

share|cite|improve this answer
Hadamard product; that seems to be it. – Šime Vidas Dec 2 '12 at 18:13
Could you explain what e is? – Šime Vidas Dec 2 '12 at 18:16
$e_i$ is (AFAIK) universal notation for a vector with $1$ at the $i^{th}$ location and $0$ everywhere else. So, $e_1 \in \mathbb{R}^3$ is $[1 \quad 0\quad 0]^T$. – Inquest Dec 2 '12 at 18:17

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.