Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a series of values that are percentages of a whole

For example:

  • 10 %
  • 8 %
  • 17 %
  • 14 %
  • 12 %
  • 19 %
  • 16 %

These are plotted on a bar graph with the top scale being 100%. As you can see there is lots of wasted space so I thought that it would be better to scale the values to take advantage of the space.

Can anyone suggest a mathematical formula I could use to scale the values into a new set of values based on a 0 to 100 scale. I would assume the largest value (e.g. 19% in this case) becomes the new 100% value.

enter image description here

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Usually you just make the left axis run from $0\%$ to the maximum or some round number a little above the maximum. In your case, from $0\%$ to $20\%$ seems reasonable. You could multitply by $\frac {100}{max value}$ but it wouldn't be percent any more.

share|cite|improve this answer
Although they are no longer pure percentages the relative measurements are just right. – JoeGeeky Dec 1 '12 at 1:28

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.