Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Clearly it's a prime ideal containing the radical. Do you just call it the "Jacobson radical of I?"

share|cite|improve this question
I suppose in some sense it's the Jacobson radical of $R/I$. – JSchlather Nov 27 '12 at 5:29
Well, it's the preimage of the Jacobson radical of $R/I$ under the projection $R \to R/I$. Of course, we don't call the radical of an ideal the "nilradical of I," despite the analogous setup. – Daniel McLaury Nov 27 '12 at 6:28
I guess if I wanted to be particularly obtuse, I could analogously drop the first three letters and call it the "obson radical," but that's just silly. – Daniel McLaury Nov 27 '12 at 6:29
Yes, that's the sense I was alluding to. Although I might phrase it as the contraction of the Jacobson radical of R/I under the canonical projection. It seems though that Jacobson radical of an ideal, is a defined notion. – JSchlather Nov 27 '12 at 6:46
The intersection you are interested in need not be a prime ideal. Counter-example: $I=(0)\subset R=\mathbb Z/(6)$. By the way, be very careful with the adverb clearly : it is a magnet for false statements. – Georges Elencwajg May 18 '13 at 7:31
up vote 2 down vote accepted

For the sake of resolving this question, it apparently is sometimes known as the "Jacobson radical of $I$." Thanks to JSchlather for supplying a reference in the comments.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.