Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have the following (directed) graph:

A --> B

the transition is labled C. Is there symbol to denote the inverse of the (A,B) transtion?

share|cite|improve this question
Did you mean in a labelled transition system”? – beroal Feb 28 '11 at 12:17
I'm not aware of any standard notation, you can just invent one. – Yuval Filmus Feb 28 '11 at 14:06

As Yuval mentioned there's no direct simple standard notation. But:

  • a directed graph is a relation, and this an be represented by a square adjacency matrix $A$, so the graph with all edges reversed has the transposed adjacency matrix $A^T$.

  • in category theory, for a given category $C$, the same objects and the reverse of all arrows as $C$ is called $C^{op}$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.