Take the 2-minute tour ×
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a generally accepted name for the space of distributions over smooth compactly supported test functions $\mathcal{D}(\mathbb{R}^n)$?

I know that distributions over the Schwartz space $\mathcal{S}(\mathbb{R}^n)$ are called "tempered distributions," and distributions over $C^\infty(\mathbb{R}^n)$ test functions are called "distributions with compact support."

I can't seem to find a name for the space $\mathcal{D}'(\mathbb{R}^n)$ mentioned anywhere.

share|improve this question
Do you mean continuous compactly supported test functions? Because the dual of that space is the space of Radon measures on $\mathbb{R}^n$. –  icurays1 Nov 20 '12 at 5:16
Sorry, should have said $\mathcal{C}^\infty$ test functions with compact support. Is there a name for the space of distributions defined on those test functions? –  B0112358 Nov 20 '12 at 5:56
Those are usually just called "distributions." Here is a good overview of the different varieties of distributions. Hope it helps. –  icurays1 Nov 20 '12 at 6:10
Ah ok I get it. I forgot that tempered distributions and compactly supported Distributions are a subset of $\mathcal{D}'(\Omega)$. Thanks for the blog link too very helpful! –  B0112358 Nov 20 '12 at 17:53

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.