Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

By a projectivized measure I mean a nonzero measure on some measurable space $X$ up to scaling. If a nonzero measure is finite, its projectivization can be identified with its normalization (to have total measure $1$), hence can be thought of as a probability measure; however, if a measure is not finite, its projectivization still resembles a probability measure in several ways, e.g. in that it can be used as a prior in Bayesian inference. For a more purely mathematical application, Haar measure on both compact and noncompact groups can be thought of as a unique projectivized measure.

I googled both "projective measure" and "projectivized measure" but the former refers to not one but two other concepts and the latter barely returns any hits at all. Does anyone know if this concept has another established name?

share|cite|improve this question

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.