Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have constructed a character table for $A_{4}$ and need to use induced representations to get a character table for $S_{4}$. I'm not very confident with the concept of induced representations, but I am familiar with the definition. In that sense, given a representation $V$ of $G$, and a representation $W$ of a subgroup $H$ of $G$, I understand how I would go about checking whether $V$ is induced by $W$ or not.

But starting with $W$, I don't see how to go about constructing $V$.

Can anyone give me advice on how to approach this problem, or a reference that they think might be helpful?

share|cite|improve this question
The wikipedia article gives construction of induced representation. Moreover, the Frobenius formula tells you how to compute the character of an induced representation. As for reference, Serre's "Linear representations of finite groups" is a classic. – user27126 Nov 16 '12 at 0:24
OK. I found that formula in chapter 7 of Serre. Thanks for the tip. I will try it. – roo Nov 16 '12 at 1:26

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.